Monday, March 31, 2008

Homestay: Rachel "any man of mine" Hesselink

Here is Rachel. This is NOT the Wiklund family! These are the injured "Blues" players she sat by. She really had a case of the "blues" after meeting these Auckland beefcakes. Kevin said he could "take" that guy on the left.


I stayed with the Wiklund family this week. A little bio on the family:

Geoff Wiklund, dad, pastor, Eden Assembly of God. Interested in sailing, golfing, basketball, and rugby.

Joanne Wiklund, mum, homemaker. Loves telling Geoff what to do, and being sooo nice to everyone.

Jeremy Wiklund, 20 yrs, mechanic’s apprentice. Avid snowboarder, guitar player, card player. He was injured this week and had to keep his leg up.

Mary Rose Wiklund, 16 yrs. Student. In love with Thomas, the cardigan-wearing British boy with whom she went on her first date Friday night.

Taffy, Topsy, and Toomany (as in one TOO MANY cats)-the three cats who entertain the family greatly.

I had a nice week with the Wiklunds. Between going downtown to work on ISP and hang out with CCSPers and doing things with the fam I stayed really busy. I went to Bible study one night with Jeremy, and played cards with him and his friend Dean. I had to watch Geoff’s favorite movie, O Brother Where Art Thou (he couldn’t believe I hadn’t seen it!) the first night I was there. He (of course) sang along to all the songs. Friday we were supposed to go sailing but it was too windy, so Geoff and Joanne took me for a drive down the coast that afternoon to see the islands and cute towns. Joanne thought that I would like to stop and look through the ‘darling’ little stores but Geoff figured that I wouldn’t because I’m a student and have no money. I just sat in the back seat listening to them talk about me. Of course Joanne got her way and we stopped at the shops.

Saturday night Geoff and Joanne took Cutter and me to a Blues game. We had seats right on the center line-I was able to see everything! The injured Blues players were sitting a few rows ahead of us and I got my picture with them . I think I’m becoming quite a rugby fan-two games in a row! GO BLUES! To finish off my week I went with Jeremy, Mary Rose, and a bunch of Jeremy’s friends to Wiranga after church on Sunday where we threw a football around in the thermal pools, raced down the waterslides, and watched an episode of Grey’s in the Movie pool.

No comments: