Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Just walking to the mailbox


I know full well that this is not my personal blog. But since I've got the password to this account, and I'm partly responsible for filling all of you in as to what goes on here during the day - I thought I'd share a quick little mish mash of words, an offering I suppose of things I encountered on my walk today to the mailbox at the end of our long driveway:

The rains have been HEAVY this past week. The waters of Oratia stream have been out of their banks and swollen with all sorts of organic matter. I wonder what the eels and freshwater shrimp do when the waters run so quickly. But, since summer is shedding and autumn is unwrapping itself around here (which means heavy rains) - I've needed to be diligent in spending as much time out- of- doors, as I can. So, down the hill I walked, past the old Catholic chapel, stepping over sharp needles of Scottish Gorse, letter in hand - I felt my head tingling from the cool air (or was it the nip of the peppermint oil soap I used to wash my hair with...yes dad...I washed my hair!) The leaves were swift, riding the currents of a low breeze past my feet - being tossed in a swirl of the wind, it was wonderful. The birds were even more swift - as fantails, blackbirds, Eastern Rosella's, Song Thrush's, Ring Necked Pheasants, and even a dinosaur looking Pukeko all were full of movement and made me tingle with delight (or maybe that was the peppermint soap again) and made think twice about holding my letter tightly, because I could have easily dropped it onto the soggy ground being so aloof with pleasure.

I dropped that letter in the box, something so simple, but so so so rewarding. Have you written a letter lately and put it in a mail box with your OWN HANDS ? Give it a shot sometime this week or next.

On my trot back - a little green friend made himself known to me - by hopping in front of my grassy feet and resting for quite a long time upon a maroonish colored leaf, which had gotten caught in the long grasses of our field. A small green tree frog, who I affectionately named "Meep Zorp" (for its alien looking legs) and then renamed "aidan" - just sat and rested, allowing me to watch him or her for quite some time. Look at that wonderful black stripe that continues through its eye - I wonder if that is some kind of defense mechanism to ward off potential predators.

I sat and got a soggy bum happily - this was one of the nicest encounters I'd ever had with a frog, and I was thankful for it - and for the chance to run and get my camera to take a few shots before "aidan" danced away.


So tonight we play "pantherball" a game dreamed up by the likes of Kevin Saiki - student life coordinator extraordinare
- you can be sure of a post about it, and some pictures to boot. But before I go and get myself pumped for the game - I wanted to share this little puzzle piece from my day. A Morepork is calling just about 10 meters away from me right now. Julie just walked in with big goon smile - and the night is clear and cool.

No comments: